Jamie Graham & Associates, PLLC
Schedule A Free Consultation 210-764-3468

License suspensions in Texas for failure to pay child support

Texans who are obligated to pay child support must make those payments on time and in full. If they do not, the state has various enforcement tactics to penalize parents who are not doing so. A recent post discussed one relatively new strategy in which those behind on their child support payments will not be allowed to register their cars. It has proven to be an effective tactic. However, there are other methods that the state can use to punish parents. One is the suspension of a license. This encompasses many licenses and is not limited to driver's licenses.

If a noncustodial parent has a state license of any kind and is behind by more than three months of child support and is not complying with a court order or voluntary repayment schedule, he or she will have a license suspended. The kinds of licenses that can be suspended are multiple. They can be driver's licenses, hunting licenses, finishing licenses, medical licenses, dental licenses and any professional license.

The law covers 60 licensing agencies in the state. However, it can extend to others that are not listed. For the suspension to go into effect, the Attorney General's Child Support Division checks its cases for failure to pay child support against the entities that issue licenses. If there is a match between the two, the license holder will be sent a warning that there is a chance the license will be suspended unless the delinquency is dealt with. If there is no response, the location of the person will be confirmed, the information will be gathered and steps will be taken for the license suspension.

It is vital for noncustodial parents who owe child support to make certain that it is paid and paid in full. This is for the good of the child and the custodial parent, but it is also for the good of the noncustodial parent to avoid the penalties that can come up during a dispute over whether the child support has been paid or not. If there is a chance that a license will be suspended or it has already been suspended, it is imperative to get help from an attorney experienced in family law.

Source: texasattorneygeneral.gov, "Child Support -- Frequently Asked Questions -- License Suspension," accessed on May 9, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
email us for a response

Get In Touch With Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Jamie Graham & Associates, PLLC
310 South St. Mary's Street
Suite 2500
San Antonio, TX 78205

Phone: 210-272-7034
Fax: 210-308-5669
San Antonio Law Office Map