Steps For A Parent Relocating With A Child

Texas family law favors parenting arrangements that allow both parents to play a role in a child's upbringing. However, that does not necessarily mean that the custodial parent cannot move to another state or even another country with the child. It does mean that the process of relocation needs to be handled with care. Certain steps must be taken, and an experienced lawyer can help with these steps.

At Jamie Graham & Associates, PLLC, in San Antonio, we provide guidance to custodial parents, also known as managing conservators, who wish to move away. We can also help noncustodial parents understand their options when a custodial parent is contemplating a move with the children. We have more than 30 years of combined experience, and our knowledge of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) allows us to handle interstate and international relocation cases.

Is The Move In The Child's Best Interest?

Just like in the initial child custody case, all changes to child custody orders must put the needs of the child first. The benefits of the move must be weighed against the costs of the move. What is the reason for the move? Will it give one parent a better career, which will in turn benefit the child? Will it bring the child to a better place to live or a place where there is more extended family that can serve as a support system for the child? Are there any alternatives?

The obvious cost of a move is that it puts physical distance between the child and the noncustodial parent. There are certainly options to maintain the parent-child relationship, including teleconferences via Skype and other electronic means, as well as travel arrangements. It is not the ideal arrangement, however, so the managing conservator must be able to demonstrate that the benefits of the move outweigh this serious cost.

Our attorneys understand how to build a legal strategy to help you do what is best for your child, whether that means moving away with the child or fighting to keep the child within reach.

Free Consultation About Relocation

Call 210-764-3468 or send an email to talk to our experienced team about a move away.